Balancing the balance sheet (multi-currency issues?)

Egbert van der Wal ewal at pointpro.nl
Fri Dec 20 01:55:49 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to generate a balance sheet based on all the transactions
I've entered.

The main issue is: the balance does not balance. I'm not exactly sure
why this is. There's some Unrealised losses which seem to have something
to do with it, but I'm not sure why and what they are.

Unrealised Losses does, exactly, match the difference between Assets and
Liabilities & Equity. However, if they do, why don't they add up to the
correct amount?

I'm guessing it has something to do with currency differences: most of
my accounts are in USD, but we've made some purcheses in USD and AUD
which are entered into accounts under expenses with the currency set to
USD and AUD, respectively. The other end of the transaction is a account
in EUR in which I've set up the exchange rate exactly.

Another weird thing is, when I'm generating the report, I can select
some settings relating to exchange rates, but none of them is 'The one I
entered when entering the transaction'. The one closest to this seems to
be 'Closest in time' as the one I entered when entering the transaction
should be closest in time, but this is confusing and unclear whether
this is actually what I want.

How can I generate a balance sheet that has a total under 'Assets' that
exactly matches the total at the bottom of 'Liabilities & Equity'?

Thanks!

Egbert van der Wal