Linux to Windows

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Dec 20 17:44:48 EST 2013

On Fri 20 December 13 13:53:51 puppydog85 wrote:
> Our company recently switched from a Linux system to a computer running
> Windows 7. I installed gnu cash on the new system and we have been running
> off it for over a year now. But we still have about 5 years of customers and
> customer invoices on the Linus system. Is there a way I can get them onto
> the windows gnucash? Either as a new file or importing the
> customer/invoices into the current file.
>
> Thanks!
>
> If there is not an easy way to do this I will probably end up running ubuntu
> through  VMware and just keep an old set of books on Gnucash there.

Hi,

You should be OK to just copy your main data file from the linux system to the
new Windows computer.

If you don't know where the linux data file lives on the hard disk, then I
suggest that:
1. open linux GC books
2. File -> Save As... [something sensible] on a usb thumbdrive.
3. open GC on windows
4. File -> open [find the file on the usb drive]
5. File -> save as... [something sensible, somewhere sensible] on your windows
hard disk

this won't move any saved reports or preferences that you had in the linux
version, but it will move the old customer and invoice data to the new
computer.

I don't believe there is a way to merge the two data files, or import
customers etc. into the new file.

HTH,
Maf.