losing data

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Dec 23 04:58:24 EST 2013

Hi Chris.

I'm fairly sure that the line at the top you are talking about is the window
"title bar"

On my system, this shows ( icon  - File name - name of account or report tab -
Program Name [ie Gnucash] )  - indeed most programs show similar context-
relevant information in the window title; my imageviewer, for example, shows
(icon - filename - size - zoom % - prog name)

So, assuming this to be what you are seeing,  your currently open data file is
called "Balance Sheet(eguile)Aug2013.gnucash"  which is (in my opinion) an odd
choice of name for a set of accounts, although perfectly valid.

I suspect that at some point, you did a "Save As" when intending to Export a
Balance Sheet report and then later (after adding data to the master file)
somehow managed to open the newer saved file that only ran to August, so it
appears that your data has vanished.  As long as you save the file when
closing GC (it reminds you if needed), and there isn't some sort of system
crash or power outage, data loss as you describe is not something that I have
experienced, nor heard of on the list. Save Early & Save Often, as I've heard
said before.

Gnucash is similar to programs like word processors or spreadsheets in that
you can have many different data files for different purposes (think
letter_toSanta.doc and Resign-letter_to_Boss.doc).  Gnucash just helps to hide
this capability, because it auto-opens the most recently edited file as many
use cases involve frequently using one main file.

If you open the Gnucash File Menu, it should drop down a set of command
choices.  Near the bottom of that list, I have Properties, then the list of my
4 most recently used accounts files, then close and finally quit.

Do you have any data file names listed in that section of your file menu?

HTH,
Maf

--
Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542