invoice date vs bank transaction date

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 16:24:05 EST 2013

Your problem only exists if you import your transactions directly from the bank, with no other intervention steps.

In particular, GNUCash insists on using accrual accounting if you create invoices (for payments due you) and bills (for payments you owe).  In such a case, the invoice/bill normally includes lines that apply the individual line items to their appropriate income/expense accounts and balances them with entries in Accounts Receivable/Payable.

If you have these invoices/bills in place at the time that you get the transactions from the bank, the bank items would get applied against Accounts Receivable (if you received funds) or Payable (if you paid them).

Ideally, they will get matched as payments with the corresponding invoices or bills, but in my experience that is somewhat hit and miss.  Not sure why.

If you don’t have the invoices/bills in place at the time, you can still create them at a later time - but to make it all work, the transactions where money changes hands should involve the bank account and accounts receivable/payable.  When you go to create the invoices or bills later, set the Post Date (in the dialogue where you post the invoice or bill) to the date of the transaction - when it should accrue - and your reports should work correctly for accrual accounting.