File problem

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 2 08:15:15 EST 2013

On 2 February 2013 10:40, David Ryder <dnryder at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> gnucassh 2.4.7
>
> I use gnucash (obvious). For years  I have sometimes had to look for the
> Gzip file to avoid opening books with the wrong file. This avoided the
> ...123.log456.log problem.
>
> I just started three more sets of books - oh, no gzip file. Just a
> <NAME>.gnucash file And (heart sinks) I see there are
> <NAME>.gnucash
> <NAME>.gnucash.123.log
> <NAME>.gnucash.123.gnucash.123.gnucash
> <NAME>.gnucash.123.gnucash.123.log
> <NAME>.gnucash.123.log456.log
> <NAME>.gnucash.123.gnucash
> files.
>
> In my list of recent files, all the new ones I created show as
> <NAME>.gnucash instead of just <NAME>.
>
> May I ask for help please on either how I can start these books over without
> losing data or on clearing up the mess of files?

The default for the accounts file is <name>.gnucash as you have found.
 An advantage of this is that the system knows that it is a gnucash
file so you should just be able to double click it to open it in
gnucash.  It should have the gnucash icon against it which I would
have thought is better than gzip.
However, if you don't want it with that name just open it in gnucash
and then do File > Save As and remove the .gnucash extension before
saving it.

Colin