Question About Price DB

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 16:38:47 EST 2013

Hi there--

I am going through some VERY old mutual fund holdings I have, and I have noticed a behavior that appears odd to me.

If I am entering a transaction into the register, my practice is to fill out the number of shares involved and a dollar amount. From those two data points, GnuCash calculates the share price, and I head happily on to something else.

I would have expected that this transaction entry would have resulted in an entry into the Price DB for that commodity on the date of my transaction, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

A couple of questions:

1) Is this an accurate assessment, or am I mis-reading things somehow?
2) If they aren't going in, why not?
3) If these entries aren't going into the Price DB, does this affect value calculations over time? I am specifically considering the Advanced Portfolio report, where I think that it does.

TIA,
David