Editing Stock or Security Transactions

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 21:11:56 EST 2013

On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:30 PM, David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I already see that comment 3  should be generalized to allow short sales by referring to 'closing transactions' rather than 'sales'.

The toolbar is described in the Help manual. I haven't made much attempt to use the multiple tabs in the ways you describe, however.

In what way do you think the open/closed nature of an account affects operations?

> 2.  It is possible for a split transaction to contain lines referring to
> more than one security account.  If there are purchases or sales of more
> than one account/security, each account/security line must be edited
> from within it's own security account window.  This could mean doing a
> lot of Saves and jumps to edit one transaction.  One must remember to
> look at the Tab near the top of the window to see which account window
> you are in, because there is no indication of "home" vs "other" accounts
> inside the transaction.  If you try to edit a line that is associated to
> a different security account you will not get a warning, and you may or
> may not notice that your edits did not "stick."   In fact, some attempts
> to edit even appear to "stick" but then get discarded when the
> transaction is "Saved." This is not documented.

Honestly, having more than one security in one transaction has never come up for me.

> 3.  There is a trick to entering the Capital Gain or Loss that is part
> of every stock or security sale.  It is mandatory in a separate
> Asset:Security line to enter 0 in the number of shares box, press the
> tab key, enter 0 in the price box, press the tab key, and then enter
> gain or loss currency or dollar amount in the appropriate buy or sell
> box, and then press <Ctrl>C, press <Ctrl>V, then press the Tab key in
> that order.  Of course there also needs to be an Income or Expense line
> to match. This is poorly documented.

I'm not sure, but I think you're describing the Tab vs. Enter discussion that was the topic of a recent thread. There is a note in chapter 8 about using Tab for capital gains splits; there are 3 documentation bug fixes in to address other areas that could benefit from the explanation.

> 4.  To start a heavy stock transaction editing session, the most
> convenient starting point is to open an "Account with Children" register
> window of the particular brokerage account.  That fact is not mentioned
> anywhere in the documentation, and it may be because there are some
> really strange idiosyncrasies in this window.  Also, it would be nice to
> have a shortcut available in a regular account register window to go to
> the "Account with Children" window instead of having to go to the
> Accounts  window, search for the desired asset brokerage account, right
> click and select "Open Subaccounts" to open that register window.

Never heard of the Account with Children option. Sounds to me like a painful way to go about it, though. I'll have to look into this...