GnuCash Android App Support

Reese Ray mrmsudawgs at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 21:38:03 EST 2013

Thanks for responding.  Here are my questions:

(1)  I have a account setup to track my dining expenses.  It is structured
like this:  Expense:Dining:Food where "Expense" is the top level category.
I want to track my dining expenses on my mobile app so do I need to setup a
corresponding account on my app that matches the same account hierarchy as
the desktop app or can I just use "Dining" as a top-level account on the
mobile app?

(2)  Will the accounts setup on my mobile app import exactly into the
corresponding accounts on the desktop?

(3)  When importing checking account transactions via the OFX file from the
mobile app into my desktop program, do I need to select "Checking" account
first before selecting "Import" or does it matter?

The above questions are really a "brain dump" of the frustrations I've had
with the mobile app coupled with my frustrations of being a new users trying
my hardest to get off of Quicken 2010.

Nothing from the mobile app transfers seamlessly for me.  When I import, The
desktop program indicates that I have an unknown OFX Checking account and
always asks me to "Please select or create an appropriate GnuCash account
for ..."  (please see the image below.  If the image fails to load, try
this link)
<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7C_ZXdEYaxgeUxUcTh6N240UzQ/edit?usp=sharing>
.

<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4659492/File-Import.jpg>

So, I select "Assets>Checking" because the dining is paid out of my checking
account and my checking account is structured under "Assets".  I have to
repeat this process for every transaction that is brought in from the mobile
app.  If the transactions are going into different accounts then I have to
specify those accounts each time.  This is very, very time consuming so I
know I must have something setup incorrectly either with how my accounts are
structured on my desktop or in how I'm using the mobile app.

My apologies for dumping so much on you.  I really appreciate the help.

Michael