Question About Price DB

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 4 09:58:10 EST 2013

On 2/3/2013 9:57 PM, Mike Alexander wrote:
> --On February 3, 2013 1:38:47 PM -0800 "David T."
> <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I am going through some VERY old mutual fund holdings I have, and I
>> have noticed a behavior that appears odd to me.
>>
>> If I am entering a transaction into the register, my practice is to
>> fill out the number of shares involved and a dollar amount. From
>> those two data points, GnuCash calculates the share price, and I head
>> happily on to something else.
>>
>> I would have expected that this transaction entry would have resulted
>> in an entry into the Price DB for that commodity on the date of my
>> transaction, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
>
> I noticed this behavior when I was working on the interaction between
> exchange rate prompts and the price DB recently, but didn't fix it.
> I'll see if I can get it fixed, although I don't know if the fix will
> be suitable for the 2.4 branch.
>
>            Mike

Mike,
My personal observations, you can confirm this in the code:
The currency trade pop-up prompt that does appear when starting a
multi-currency or security(stock) transaction edit from a "Currency" or
"Bank" account window is very confusing.  It uses the equals sign in the
prompt and asks for a ratio without stating that the divide symbol
works.  Also it gives conflicting information about which number should
be in the numerator vs which number should be in the denominator. Then
it leaves the display value in integer divide form in the price database
entry rather than decimal form. I am not sure what the Fetch Rate button
is supposed to do, it doesn't seem to do anything.
I believe that the nice prompt asking whether to adjust the price,
shares or amount pre-empts the currency trade pop-up when the
transaction edit is started from the security asset account window and
then the price DB entry code inadvertently gets skipped, probably
because it is mixed in with the currency trade prompt generating code.
Also, in my opinion the price DB entry in either case should ask the
user whether to take the price  just manually entered (as if this is a
record of an actual transaction rather than a value estimate based on a
quote) or to take the last recorded quote price from the price database
as it currently does. If the choice is not given it should at least
declare that the last recorded quote price will be used.

David C