Accounts for special orders

Admin admin at adastraarms.com
Tue Feb 5 09:22:30 EST 2013

I've not been able to find an answer in the archives on this, so I'm
hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

The topic is "special orders".  I have a small business.  Customer Alice
wants me to order a SuperWidget.  The price is to be $500, and she's
given me $250 earnest money.

Vendor Bob is currently out of SuperWidgets, but has them on backorder.
Current cost is $400; I will not be billed until the item ships.  Should
Bob be unable to obtain a SuperWidget for me, then the whole deal is off
and Alice will receive a full refund.

So . . . how to enter all these.  I can start an Invoice for Alice's
SuperWidget order, but Income:Expenses doesn't seem to be the right
offset -- it's more of an escrow.  How do I set up accounts to show the
order and then the subsequent transactions as the order gets filled?

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks much!