Backup Files

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Tue Feb 5 14:47:24 EST 2013

On 5 February 2013 at 9:49, Les said:

> I have my general preference set to retain 5 days worth of log files.
> However, I have over 2 months residing in my folder.  Can someone explain
> why?  Is it because GC makes a distinction between "log" files and other
> files?

It treats log and backup files the same. However, it only deletes those
that go with the current file you are working on. These can be recognised
because they start with the same filename, and end with .<datetime>.log
and .<datetime>.gnucash respectively.

For example, my current file is called "accounts-3.gnucash". The oldest
log file is "accounts-3.gnucash.20130107151708.log" and the oldest backup
is "accounts-3.gnucash.20130107162315.gnucash".

So if you open a backup and work with that (without changing its name) it
won't delete the logs and backups of the original. Or if you have old
files lying around (for example from test runs: I have several) then
their logs and backups will be kept, until you next open the old base
file.

If this fails to explain what you're seeing, post some sample filenames
and perhaps something will reveal itself.