gnucash-user Digest, Vol 119, Issue 22

tereque tereque at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 21:27:46 EST 2013

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 19:26:11 -0500
> From: "Emily Tavis" <emilytavis at gmail.com>
> To: <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Subject: Customizing Accounts
>
> Hi, I am new to GnuCash and was wondering how I can customize my income/expense categories (i.e. Auto Insurance: expense, Income: Sales) after my accounts are already set up.  I am needing to make income/expense items more specific for my business.  For example: rather than just having Income: Sales, I need to have subcategories for the specific items or categories that I am selling.  I was able to alter some of them in the initial setup but after I set up my accounts I cannot find the list to make changes to.  Is this a feature of GnuCash?  Thanks!

yes, that is a feature. Actually it is remarkable that you have not
bumped into that by just playing around. make sure you are into the
'accounts' tab, then either right click on an account to edit this one
or add new ones. You need to 'trial-and-error' around there a little
maybe to explore the possibilities. It is actually quite obvious how to
work with such I think. As you have many options it can seem a little
complex at start though.