Setting up a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

makai makai at digiplasty.com
Tue Feb 12 22:28:41 EST 2013

Thank you all so much for your helpful replies!

OT:  This FSA business is indeed a Byzantine mess!  Aside, it also seems to have the "unintended" consequence of encouraging unnecessary medical expenses in the name of saving money.  Reminds me of this Python sketch: http://youtu.be/1ZOdVqlvys0

Here is a mash-up of your good advice -- adding to Budda Buck's detailed list (thanks for that!) an account for outstanding billable expenses and to fund the FSA as if it were an advance on my salary.

## Accounts
Assets:
  Checking
  MedicalExpensesBillable

Expenses:
  EligibleMedicalExpenses

Income:
  FSA_Advance
  Salary

Liabilities:
  FSA_Loan

## Transactions
Fund FSA to Start Term:
  Debit Income:FSA_Advance
  Credit Liability:FSA_Loan

Paycheck: Split:
  Debit Assets:Checking by net salary
  Debit Liability:FSA_Loan by FSA contribution
  Credit Income:Salary by gross salary

Doctor's Visit:
  Debit MedicalExpensesBillable
  Credit Assets:Checking

Submit for Reimbursement:
  Debit Expenses:EligibleMedicalExpenses
  Credit Assets:MedicalExpensesBillable

Receive reimbursement:
  Debit Assets:Checking
  Credit Income:FSA_Advance

Thanks for your help and also thanks to the laudable community of developers who brings us Gnucash!

-Makai