Tracking profit and loss for events

Ken Greenberg ken at pasttools.org
Wed Feb 13 20:22:23 EST 2013

I am the new treasurer of a collectibles club with several hundred
members, and I am considering using GnuCash for accounting. I am
interested to hear about best practices from someone with a similar
organization, mostly to see if GnuCash is the right tool for this.

Like any organization, we have income (membership dues) and expenses
(printing newsletters). But we also put on about four trade shows a
year. Each show has income (from admissions and selling trade tables)
and expenses (food, rent, insurance, etc.) We need to be able to track
each show's expenses and revenues separately. So while they use the same
general accounts (e.g., checking) that will produce club-wide reports,
we want to track each show as if it was a project or job.

GnuCash certainly has a concept of jobs (just as QuickBooks has
projects) but they are associated with customers. Makes perfect sense if
you are a building contractor, but for us the projects are for the club
as a whole, not for one particular customer. In fact we don't have
customers, but I think members map to customers pretty well since they
are our only source of revenue.

I have mostly worked for fairly large companies (now retired) and am
used to the idea of a profit-and-loss center within a company. For
example, Audi is part of Volkswagen and contributes to its bottom line,
but the profitability of Audi itself can be tracked. (OK, this is on a
wildly different scale.) I would think each trade show could be thought
of as a P&L center, and this would work. But does GnuCash handle this?

I can think of other examples where this sort of reporting is necessary.
For example, an orchestra needs to see if each concert is profitable, as
well as whether it made or lost money for the year.

So, how do others handle this? Any ideas greatly appreciated.