sole proprietorship with respect to my PERSONAL books?

wilmo wilmo79 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 21:56:07 EST 2013

Hi Paul,

I also have a sole proprietorship in the USA. For taxes, in accordance with
the IRS rules I pay self-employment taxes on all profit from the business
(Schedule C and associated). I go to a tax accountant annually make sure I
get this part right. For bookkeeping, I have a "withdrawal" account  in the
business books (decreases equity, but doesn't affect P&L) for the and a
"distributions" income account for the income to my personal books.

The money I put into the business went into equity in the business books
(capital contribution). The equity I keep as an investment asset in my
personal books. That asset value could rise if I held earnings in the
business, but I withdraw all income into personal books.

Hope this helps,
Will

DISCLAIMER: Not an accountant. Not even on TV.