Tracking profit and loss for events

Ken Greenberg ken at pasttools.org
Thu Feb 14 13:24:11 EST 2013

In truth, I think Audi/VW is not such a perfect example based on the scale
being so different. I prefer the orchestra example, since I talked to my
friend who is the treasurer of an orchestra and asked him how he managed
such things. His answer is that he uses QuickBooks Pro, which allows him to
tag individual transactions as being associated with an event - e.g.,
"February 2013 concert." In QuickBooks, this is called a class. Once he has
done that, he can produce a report of all transactions with that tag, as
well as a report for the entire year of all transactions, tagged or not.
This is much more convenient.

Of course, the idea of keeping a separate file for each event is possible,
provided there is a convenient way to do the roll-up. But I see your
solution as being problematic in a few ways. For example, "borrowing" money
from the main account and rolling it back at the end of the event does not
seem to work well with the idea that transactions to the checking account
will overlap between event-based and general transactions, possibly on the
same day.

I have noted that there were one or two other threads suggesting that the
lack of ability to tag transactions for reporting purposes was a missing
feature in GnuCash. Is this still the case? Because that's what I really
want.