End of year - P&L reports include the closing transaction so everything is NIL

David Ryan david at ryanit.ie
Sun Feb 17 13:07:00 EST 2013

I'm using 2.4.11 on Windows for personal (i.e. non-business
transactions) for the last 15 months. I just did my 2012 year end now
and it correctly zero'd all the expense & income accounts by
transferring the balance as at 31DEC2012 out of the accounts. It's been
a long, long time since I did accountancy properly so I couldn't quite
remember where I was supposed to transfer it to. I created an account
called Equity:Year End Movement and when closing out the year the
balances were transferred there.

Here's the problem - when I run a P&L for the year I get a whole lot of
zeros back for each and every account. If I run the P&L up to 30DEC I
get accurate figures representing the year, but as soon as I roll it on
the extra day it includes the closing transaction.

For example - I have a balance of €345.67 in
expenses:utilities:electricity on 30DEC. The year end transaction posted
-€345.67 on 31DEC and the balance came down to NIL. This is fine in one
way since it shows all my balances at zero on 01JAN (which I want), but
not fine since it also shows them as zero on 31DEC - which I don't want
and which isn't correct.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong here? Is the problem that I
transferred the balances to an Equity account? Where should they
transfer to?

Thanks,

David