Crashed; Lost my accounts - Help!

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 05:02:55 EST 2013

On 18 Feb 2013, at 00:46, Scott Gibson <scottgibson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I got the following crash while working on my year end; I restarted and it
> crashed again.  Restarted again and it asked if I wanted to open existing
> windows (since it crashed when trying to open them last time).  I said;  no
> and it took me to the window where I can create a new set of accounts;
> import existing qif; etc
>
> How can I get my accounts / invoices back?
>
> Any advice?
>
> Scott

First thing I'd do is make copies of all my gnucash data files:

Copy and paste them into a backup folder somewhere.

In my case, the current gnucash file is called "MDH.gnucash", and there are several earlier files with the filename extension ".gnucash", which are previous versions of MDH.gnucash.

Assuming (your equivalent of) MDH.gnucash to be damaged in some way, you should try opening the most recent of the earlier versions and work back to one which you can open successfully.

This is done from the File=>Open menu. Obviously, you'll have lost any information entered recently.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to wait for someone who really understands the inner workings of GC to interpret your error report!

Michael