End of year - P&L reports include the closing transaction so everything is NIL

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Tue Feb 19 03:29:07 EST 2013

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 09:37:54 +0000
David Ryan <david at ryanit.ie> wrote:

> It seems strange that a pretty standard function like rolling over at
> year end isn't fully supported.  I know the mega transactions are
> posted and the accounts are cleared, but I would have thought it was
> pretty standard to be able to run prior years P&L reports without
> having to manually bodge the report.

The standard function belongs to paper accounting.
Many things we do differently in digital systems.
Ask yourself "what is the function of closing the books"?
Then ask "how else those functions can be achieved"?

Writers on this list will advise that you need reports which need to
cover the time period involved, and that these reports do not need
"closing the books" to achieve these results.

Liz