Group Files Not Opening Normally

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Tue Feb 19 09:49:56 EST 2013

(Cath forgot to send her message to the list, copied below)

What I am saying is that the new browser prompt to open/save is a
Yahoogroups change - due to them changing the server HTTP header. But
the options of what to do then with the file, and the options that are
given you in the popup, vary from browser to browser and are side
issues. I don't have Chrome here but it does seem it has even less
options than IE. Then the way Notepad or whatever text editor you are
using displays it compared with how it displayed in the browser depend
also on how you have configured your text editor, an individual
computer issue.

The original change by Yahoogroups to the server headers has indeed
been done for security reasons and their statements are correct. What
they are not acknowledging are the number of side effects being
discussed here. It also depends on how groups use the file area - in
our case they are entirely used as a store of files for download anyway
(apart from the default files sent to new users, which members
themselves don't look at) and they are not intended to be opened in the
browser. Others clearly use them for other purposes, and in particular
as a store of images etc used by other pages of their sites. Hopefully
they will recognise these side issues in due course.

Dave

http://www.davesergeant.com