Questions after xml->sqlite conversion

StephenAndMandy Cleary stephenandmandy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:08:00 EST 2013

Hello, folks -

Long time user of GNUCash here. I've been looking forward to the db file
format for a while, and recently updated my primary finances file to use
the new sqlite format. I've got ~6 years of transactions in there.

With the XML -> db conversion, I was expecting a reduced file size and
faster startup times, neither of which has happened. I no longer have to
save, but I notice that it doesn't keep open a lock file, either.

So, my questions:
1) Is GNUCash still safe for multiple users? I have my finances on Dropbox
and occasionally use multiple access (restricting writes to the first user
is fine, as long as the others can read). The lock file worked for this but
will sqlite?
2) Is the expected file size for sqlite much larger than xml? My xml db was
840,531 bytes and I thought it would go down when moving from xml to a
relational db. The sqlite file is 6,503,424 bytes. I went from <1MB to
6.5MB. Is there something wrong or is this normal?

Thanks,
      -Steve