Multiple csv file import/conversion

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 00:31:32 EST 2013

On 2/21/2013 8:02 PM, Jamestk wrote:
> Hello again.
>
> Please forgive the off topic query but I didn't want to start a whole new
> thread for a simple Q'n (hopefully simple).
>
> Ok, having followed the help tutorials several times adding transactions,
> splits ect all seems well apart from the Visa account.
>
> I credited this with $100 as per tutorial which showed as a positive credit
> putting the Visa account balance $100 in the black. However when I tried
> repeating a similar transaction from the checking account it appears as a
> debit in both accounts (or a charge in the Visa account)?
>
> I have scoured the tutorial as to why but none the wiser. If possible I
> would also like to change the Visa register heading from 'charge' (maybe
> American?) to payment, again I checked help file along with the preferences
> menu to no avail.
>
> Thanks and apologies for the O/T

Re-read the section of the tutorial about credit cards.  Do not get
confused by the color of the numbers.  The opening balance of a credit
card account is usually entered as a charge because you already owe them
money.  Buying things are also entered as charges in the right column
and they "increase" the total that you owe.  Your payment to the credit
card company appears in the left column of the charge account register
and it will "decrease" the total that you owe.  The other side of your
credit card payment should be in the right column "Withdrawal" in the
bank account register.  It is possible to change some defaults to alter
the appearance of the registers but that is not recommended for
beginners.  If you have tried that it is easy to go into
Edit:Preferences and reset them to the default.  Click on Help while in
the preferences window.

David C