new user on windowns 7: customer and invoice disappear

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 22 10:19:14 EST 2013

Hi,

"Monica Grover" <monica.grover at usa.com> writes:

> Hi Derek,
>
> Sorrry, I didn't realise I didn't CC gnucash-user.
> I think your replies clear the issues for me.
>
> However, it is scary that this bug/unintuitive interface exists. I'm not sure
> if I'll continue to use this.

As I said, the defaults should always do what you want provided you
never change/touch the "active" button either on the customers/invoices
or in the search dialog.  I'd be very surprised to learn that it is no
longer the case.  I believe the only bug is the label on the checkbox in
the "find" dialog.  However I admit that I'm not regularly using the 2.4
code with the business features these days (my business is still using
2.0.x, and I don't have many invoices anymore).

> It is possible I chose wrong time to download it and recent release caused the
> bug or may be it is just broken on windows.

Unlikely.  It's the same code on all platforms, so it's not going to be
a windows-specific issue.  I think it's just a 'bad label'.

> May I ask how long you have been using this software and what platform ? How
> has been your experience ?

My business file was started in 2001 or 2002 (I'd have to look, which
requires logging into a different system).  My personal file was started
in 2007 (I looked).  In all cases I use a Linux desktop.

> Most opensource comes with no warrenty but are more reliable than paid
> versions.

Indeed, and you tend to get improved technical support as well ;)

> thanks
> Monica

-derek