Moving from Windows to Linux (was Re: Balance Sheet & Income Statement)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 22 10:25:06 EST 2013

Hi, Ian,

Welcome to the list.  Before I answer your question I should point out
that generally you should start a new thread when asking a new question
instead of hijacking another thread.  Otherwise your question could
easily be lost because nobody is expecting a new question.  Moreover,
your question has nothing to do with "Balance Sheet & Income Statement"!

Having said that....

"Ian Cousins" <ian.cousins at albionfm.co.uk> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to Gnu Cash - having always used Sage, VT Transaction plus others.
>
> Can somebody tell me if a Chart of Accounts can be constructed on a Windows
> based OS and then transferred to a Linux based OS?

Yes.  The data file is 100% transferable.  Just copy it over, like you
would a Text or Spreadsheet document.

> Have a client who has Linux, I however have windows.

Just make sure you're all using similar versions, e.g. 2.4.11.  If
you're on 2.4.x but your customer is still using an ancient version like
2.2.9 then you might have an issue, but generally it's just as easy as
sending the data file over like you would any other document.

Good Luck,