tracking per-project profit/loss

Dan Hulme daniel.hulme1 at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 24 07:27:39 EST 2013

I've just taken over the accounts for a band, and set up an account
hierarchy in Gnucash for them. I have expense accounts for different
types of expense, and income accounts for takings and fees for concerts
we perform at.
One thing I'd like to track is the overall profit and loss for each
concert we perform. That is, I'd like to have some kind of "project"
that I can associate each related expense and income transaction with,
and then a way to see a list of project with the overall position for
each (or at least to filter transactions by project).
It sounds very much like the "jobs" feature the invoicing system has,
but most of the transactions don't have (or need) invoices: cash ticket
sales, for instance. It would be a little silly to create a lot of
'fake' invoices and vendors just to be able to use jobs.
Is there some other way I can achieve this? I couldn't find anything in
the concepts manual.