Enabling Financial Quote

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Sun Feb 24 20:29:01 EST 2013

On Feb 24, 2013, at 5:14 PM, Elizabeth Pandolfo Briggs <pandolfo at ninthwonder.com> wrote:

> On 2/24/13 7:52 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>> On Feb 24, 2013, at 11:04 AM, Elizabeth Pandolfo Briggs <pandolfo at ninthwonder.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. I've upgraded my Mac to Mountain Lion and Gnucash to version 2.4.11, and I've had the same problem others have reported with Financial Quotes not working. However, when I follow the directions to install Financial Quotes, I get an error message in Terminal (below in detail) and the installation fails. I'm not a programmer, and I don't really understand what the problem is. Help!
>>>

>>> That's pretty strange. All of those URLs are valid, I just checked them. I suppose it's possible you happened to try just as CPAN was pushing an update to the mirrors and that caused the failure. You could try again and see if you get the same errors.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, the message "No external ftp command available" seems odd as well. If you type
>>>
>>>   which ftp
>>>
>>> at a Terminal prompt, does it respond "/usr/bin/ftp"?
>
> Yes.
>
> I've tried 3 or 4 times over 2 days to install Financial Quotes and I get the same fail every time.
>
> When I went to those CSPAN URLs it asked me for my password to log in, which I didn't know, not ever having tried to log in before. I was able to log in as guest but that didn't seem to make a difference for the Gnucash install.

I'm guessing that you used ftp from terminal for that test. The trick for anonymous login to a public ftp site is to use either "ftp" or "anonymous"
as the user id and your email address for a password. In the old days before
spam, it was safe to enter a real email. I don't think I'd do that today.
It's anyway easier to use a web browser, which won't ask for a password. The problem is that neither manual method will work for CPAN, so we need to figure out what's gotten borked with your CPAN installation.

Try running this in Terminal:
  sudo rm -rf ~/.cpan
  sudo cpan -i Finance::Quote

It will ask a bunch of configuration questions. It's usually OK to just hit return for all of them, as the default is usually good enough, but in this case check the defaults to make sure that it isn't setting any strange paths (like setting ftp to something other than /usr/bin/ftp).

Regards,
John Ralls