tracking per-project profit/loss

Dan Hulme daniel.hulme1 at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 25 07:57:56 EST 2013

Thanks for your speedy reply, Chris.
On 24/02/13 20:22, Chris Peachment wrote:
> You can add a new top level account to the chart (like Assets,
> Liabilities, Equity, Income, Expenses) for each project. It works
> to identify it as an Income account. Then add subsidiary Income
> and Expense accounts under it. The standard profit and loss report
> will gather all the income accounts under the Income header,
> across the main accounts AND the projects. It will gather the
> Expense accounts in the same manner.
>
> You can create a separate report for just the project details.
>
> I am doing this for projects in a not-for-profit operation.

I thought about doing it this way, but we have maybe two dozen
'projects' a year, and it seems like a lot of extra things to set up
per-project. I'm afraid of my accounts becoming unmanageable with this
system. What's your experience doing it this way? Do you have a lot of
projects, and do you find recreating the accounts for different types of
expenses takes much time?