Going crazy with Report issues

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Jul 10 20:32:23 EDT 2013

firtree wrote:

>Newbie here and going nuts. I've used Quicken for years and now switching to
>GnuCash. I cannot get a Transaction Report to list anything. I've only
>entered a few things because I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly
>and that Gnucash will give me the info I need. I've tried everything and
>cannot get a TR to show anything. The message is "no matching transactions
>found". The dates are correct, I chose to include all accounts and I don't
>understand the filter thing, so did it to include all and none and neither
>makes any difference. What am I doing wrong??????
>
>I want a report, like I would generate in Quicken, that shows the
>transactions and their amounts, hopefully grouped in their appropriate
>accounts.

I've never used Quicken so "like in Quicken" means nothing to me. What
the gnucash transaction report will show is transactions by account and
within account by month, subtotaled, etc.

I would not be so sure that you are running the report with the date
range set correctly. Sounds like you are in the testing phase seeing if
gnucash will work for you and you have a test set of books with a few
transactions entered. What is the date of the first of these
transactions and what is the date of the last?

When you open the "transaction report" the default date range is start
of current year to present date (you change this Edit => options and go
to the options page that lets you set start and end date; after setting
the date you must "apply" that change). Unless your test transactions
all had dates from Jan 1, 2013 up to today then "no matching
transactions" would initially be correct (until you changed the dates
and applied that change)

Michael