Going crazy with Report issues

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 06:57:54 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, 7/10/2013 7:34 PM, David T. wrote:
> Just a quick question: when you say you selected all accounts, did you open the account tree before clicking All Accounts?
>
> There is an outstanding oddity in the account selection widget that it only selects accounts that are currently visible on screen. Users have complained, and there is an enhancement request in for it, but it hasn't gotten fixed. So, try making all your accounts visible in the tree and *then* clicking the All Accounts button.
>
> David
>
> On Jul 10, 2013, at 2:37 PM, firtree <tizzonestudio at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Newbie here and going nuts. I've used Quicken for years and now switching to
>> GnuCash. I cannot get a Transaction Report to list anything. I've only
>> entered a few things because I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly
>> and that Gnucash will give me the info I need. I've tried everything and
>> cannot get a TR to show anything. The message is "no matching transactions
>> found". The dates are correct, I chose to include all accounts and I don't
>> understand the filter thing, so did it to include all and none and neither
>> makes any difference. What am I doing wrong??????
>>
>> I want a report, like I would generate in Quicken, that shows the
>> transactions and their amounts, hopefully grouped in their appropriate
>> accounts.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

>> --

David is referring to the fact that sub-accounts do not necessarily get
selected to be included in transaction reports in particular, but also
in certain other reports unless the user makes it a point to scroll down
the account list in the report settings, and click on each
right-pointing icon by accounts that contain sub-accounts to show the
respective sub-accounts before clicking on Select All and/or Select
Children.
Users usually do that once after they have their Chart of Accounts set
to their satisfaction then save the report as a custom report with a
descriptive title because it is a tedious and error-prone process.
Alas, roses have thorns too.

David C