How to best handle Imputation Credit (Australia); Tax related

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Jul 12 07:00:25 EDT 2013

Hi Michael,

There is a similar concept in the UK, called "dividend tax credit".  I've
never been in a position to even think about a reclaim.... but I do track it
from year to year, as who knows what is around the corner.  It is far easier
to record too much data in GC at the time and sum accounts in a report or
spreadsheet than it would be to go back and split up transactions, IMHO.

I record a dividend transaction as follows: (viewed from my receiving bank
account - hope the indenting works ok!)

Expenses:Taxes:DividendCredit	£2.60
Bank:checking				£24.00
Income:Dividends:Net						£24.00
Income:Dividends:TaxCredit					£2.60

I'd imagine that In:D:Net would happily split as Franked and Unfranked in your
case

If I were to make a reclaim, I'd have a negative expense transaction from
E:T:DC to Bank:Checking, which would have the desired effect of reducing the
total tax paid and increasing the money available to spend on beer...

Note, I'm not an accountant, these are personal books, and if the tax credit
isn't really my expense in law (although I think it is), I don't really care -
it works for me. Of course, YMMV.

HTH,
Maf.