gnucash help

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 02:49:05 EDT 2013

On 13 Jul 2013, at 07:28, "Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:

> On Fri 12 July 13 20:21:08 Rachel wrote:
>> Hi there are a bunch of document.gnucash files, when I try to open them
>> I get this error, see screenshot, thank you!
>>
>> On 7/12/13 6:01 PM, Dustin Henning wrote:
>>> Documents.gnucash should be your main file.  All of the others are backups
>>> and logs of changes made.
>>>

> Hi Rachel,
>
> The first screenshot that you posted showed exactly one file called
> "Documents.gnucash" - right at the top of the list in the screengrab, modified
> on 2nd July.
>
> All the other files with the numbers in are backups and change log files,
> don't try to open those at the moment...
>
> Can you start GC from a menu (don't know about how to do that on a mac), and
> then try to open the Documents.gnucash file using the GC File menu, then Open,
> then navigate to the newuser folder?  I believe that there is a strange
> interaction with MacOs that means that trying to open a file by clicking on it
> doesn't work with GC - it will always try to open the most recently used
> datafile, so if you can get the file to open once, you'll be good to go in the
> future.

Snap!

But I think you expressed it more clearly than I did.

I'm a (relatively new) Mac user, and can confirm that the Mac version of GnuCash doesn't necessarily open a file if you double-click its name in a Finder window.

It's necessary to start GnuCash first, and then use File -> Open and browse to the correct data file (Documents.gnucash).

Michael