Equity incorrectly calculated

Christian Eriksen Stassen christian at stassen.dk
Sun Jul 14 04:37:15 EDT 2013

Hi, I have just started using GnuCash, and have set up my initial
balance. I have a problem however with my how it converts my investments
into my base currency. All my numbers are in HKD, but most of my
investments are USD denominated.

What i did:
1) set up the USD ccy - entered rate 7.75 vs HKD
2) set up each of the 3 stocks i own. let's say price is 1 USD and that
i own 1 stock
3) made opening balance (transfer to equity opening balances) of 1 stock
at price 1, and value autocalculates to 1.

However, when i look at my overview, my assets say 3*7.75 = 23.25 HKD
which is correct, whereas my equity is just showing 3 - i.e., it has
just recorded 1.

Is this because I entered price wrong, i.e. instead of entering price =
1 (ie the USD price) i shoudl have entered price 7.75 (ie the HKD
price)? or is it because i have set up the account for the stock wrong
such that it somehow thinks transactions are in HKD even though the
stock is clearly in USD?

Thanks
Christian