importing to GnuCash, forums, blogs et al?, updates

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Jul 18 17:17:36 EDT 2013

Hi Robert,

answers in line below...

On Thu 18 July 13 11:59:54 Robert Kramer wrote:
> Hello:
>

> First, I convey my thanks and appreciation to you for coming up with an
> "actual accounting" program. You've done a splendid job, not only in the
> application and programming but also in the exemplary documentation. One
> could learn more here about accounting applications and procedures than from
> several pedantic semesters and myriad arcane textbooks could deliver.
>

> I laud you for your efforts and your accomplishments.
>

> Secondly, I wish to get in  contact with other users (or developers). I'm
> looking to find out how others might be using GnuCash and how they go about
> accomplishing these uses. If this includes joining with others (forums,
> blogs et al) to ask questions or simply to read further about their
> approaches to certain activities or procedures, who might I contact and how
> might I do so?

You've done all that is required - you are (presumably) subscribed to the
Gnucash-Users mailinglist, fire away on specific questions, or search the list
archives - note that the search page on the gnucash website is broken, but you
can use google for a site search, something like  site:gnucash.org <your
search>

If you do hit a problem that you want to ask for help with, remember to
mention your version of gnucash and the operating system you use.

You can manage your subscription using the link at the bottom of this email.

> Presently, I need to learn more about:
>

> 1.       Importing various files to GnuCash.
>
> a.       In particular, MS Office files such as Excel spreadsheets, Access
> databases, Word tables or CSV's.

I believe that CSV is importable.

> b.      Also, how to set up QIF files for import to GnuCash (this is using
> Quicken, is it not?).
>
> c.       Learning the use of the file formats shown by selecting the GnuCash
> File tab/Import menu: QIF,QFX, CSW, Replay GnuCash log file, MT940, MT942,
> DTAUS, DTAUS and send.

I think the MT94x and DTAUS are specific to only a few nations.  I've never
come across them in the UK.

> 2.       Exporting GnuCash files and reports to other applications, e.g.
> Project Tracking, Expense Account, Tax Preparation, etc.

Generally by running a report and then exporting (or cut-and-paste) the result
for manipulation by eg. a spreadsheet.

> 3.      Obtaining available updates to GnuCash.

Depends on your OS - but new releases are announced on this list.

Welcome to Gnucash!

best regards
Maf.
(just a long-time user)