Gnucash thinks data file is read-only, how to open it for writing?

Ben Finney ben+gnome at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jul 18 18:03:39 EDT 2013

Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> writes:

> On 16 July 2013 02:03, Ben Finney <ben+gnome at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > Howdy all,
> >
> > How can I convince Gnucash to open my data file for writing?
>
> I think there may be some confusion here as to exactly what symptom
> you are seeing.
>
> Do you get an error or warning when you start gnucash or open the
> accounts file?  If so, exactly what message?

The error message was displayed only when I opened the file after
re-starting the computer:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > Recently, Gnucash (v. 2.4.13) failed to open a data file,
> > complaining it couldn't get a lock. I closed Gnucash to deal with
> > this, couldn't find a lock file anywhere, and re-opened Gnucash.
> > From that point on, though, Gnucash doesn't complain, but neither
> > will it allow me to save any changes to the file.

I don't recall what the message was exactly.

> What do you do to get the read only error, and exactly what message
> are you seeing?

There is no error message now. But the functions to save the file are
disabled, as though the file is opened read-only.

--
 \        “There are no significant bugs in our released software that |
  `\         any significant number of users want fixed.” —Bill Gates, |