company credit cards with foreign currency

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 09:47:31 EDT 2013

On 23 Jul 2013, at 13:02, Marc Lindup <Marc.Lindup at marel.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a new user of gnucash and really like the concept of being able to use it for my personal accounts and also my expenses for work (if possible) using the android additional software.
>
> I have been reading through the documentation and I can't easily find out how to do this in gnucash. I have a company credit (balance paid by them) that I use whilst travelling abroad where I could have mixed transactions on the same statement in different currencies. They pay the card directly so I'm not responsible for the payment but the payments have to be approved and registered with them.
>
> How would I set this up in Gnucash, or is it not possible?  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hi, Marc. Welcome to the GnuCash community!

First a disclaimer, I'm an ordinary user of GnuCash, using it for personal accounts and tax affairs - I Am Not An Accountant.

My first thought is that your company credit card is entirely separate from your personal accounts, so there is nothing to be gained (except confusion!) from incorporating this credit card into your own accounts.

My second thought is that if your'e planning to enter transactions with this credit card using GnuCash, and hoping that all the foreign currency conversions and credit card fees are going to be added in automatically, you're going to be disappointed - see a recent thread entitled "Odd behaviour in multicurrency txns".

It's not clear what you want in the way of a report for your employer, but I presume that it's a list of expenses, with dates, descriptions and amounts, which your employer will check against the credit card statement. As the exchange rates and charges are variable, you can't even predict the eventual cost of any of these items, so you might just as well present your account of your expenditure as a word processor file - or even as plain text!

Michael