Gnucash/Mac network question/issue

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Jul 24 09:49:19 EDT 2013

On Jul 23, 2013, at 3:34 PM, Ron Jaffe <ronjaffe at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Greetings, all.
>
> After searching the archives, I've not found an answer to my question and so was hoping someone here could help.
>
> First off, my background is in hardware so I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge to talk about programming code in case that is needed for this issue.
>
> Secondly, my client's issue is relating to the following Mac environment. As a non-profit on a shoestring, their equipment isn't bleeding edge.
>
> Here is the issue:
>
> The client wants to be able to open Gnucash data file (on Mac 1, below) across a LAN, from Mac 2, below. The "File" -> "Open" dialog box within Gnucash doesn't contain an option to browse network shares, only local drives or folders. An alias that points to the folder on the host Mac only appears as a file or "link" on the Gnucash client. No way to access the resource on the host Mac (i.e. data file) that I can figure out
>
> --------------.
>
> Gnucash for Mac - Versions listed below.
>
> Mac 1: Running OS X 10.5 (Leopard) - Gnucash 2.2.1 I believe - Whatever the latest PPC version is.
>
> --- Gnucash runs fine locally on this computer and the data file resides on this computer as well.
>
> Mac 2: Running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) - Gnucash 2.4.13 (Intel version.)
>
> --- When the data file is copied to this Mac, Gnucash opens the data file and runs fine locally.
>
> ----------------
>
> So the question is: Is it possible to access a Gnucash database across a Mac network and if so, how should that be configured?
>
> I should add there is one more anomaly.
>
> As with many apps, Gnucash apparently remembers where the Gnucash data file was when the program is reopened later. I'm assuming there is some configuration file that the file path is stored in which Gnucash checks when the application is reopened. Where the heck is it? I have tried finding and deleting every file associated with Gnucash, but after a clean install, it still looks at the last place it found the file to open in again. I assume there is a hidden folder preference or config file, or directory somewhere?
>
> As I said, I'm not a programmer, so I'm afraid I don't know the protocol for troubleshooting open source applications.
>
> I'd welcome any help.
>
> Thank you in advance,

Yes, it's possible. You just need to know that Macs mount everything in /Volumes, to which one can navigate
in the Gnucash File Chooser.

First, make sure that the network folder is mounted and browsable in Finder. Note its share (not host) name: When you select a shared host in Finder, the first screen/level/column (depending on which view is selected in Finder) displays the shares available on that machine. The one you select will be the name that shows up in the /Volumes folder in the next step.

Start up Gnucash and select File->Open. On the selection list on the left you'll see entries for "File System" and "/"; they both go to the same place. Click on that, then scroll down and double-click on "Volumes". Find the share name for the remote folder, double click on that, then navigate as usual to the account file.

Regards,
John Ralls