One payment for several invoices

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Tue Jun 4 01:35:17 EDT 2013

--On June 3, 2013 9:25:39 PM -0700 Jonas Lippuner <jonas at lippuner.ca>
wrote:

> So what I would like to have is one transaction in the checking
> account that has a split for separate invoices (each invoice belonging
> to a different customer).
>
> Is this possible to do? If so, how? And even if the current GUI does
> not support such an action, would such a transaction (different splits
> being the payment for different invoices) be logically consistent with
> Gnucash's data model?

The way I do this (which is taken from other accounting software I am
forced to use) is to use an intermediate asset account called
"Undeposited Funds".  When I get a check to pay an invoice I post the
invoice and deposit the payment in the Undeposited Funds account.  Then
when I make a bank deposit I enter a transaction from that account to
the bank account with a split for each check deposited.

          Mike