Auto splitting for transactions?

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Sun Jun 16 18:03:26 EDT 2013

On 14 June 2013 at 13:44, Derek Atkins said:

> Hi,
>
> Nico <elhansa at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi!
> > I'm looking gnucash and so far seems really great, congratulation to the
> > developers!!!
> >
> > I saw there is a function for splitting transactions manually, but need
> > to know if some kind of "auto-splitting" could be accomplished. Ideally
> > the function I need is to have a special account type where I could set
> > percentages to different associated accounts, so when using this account
> > the ammount of the transaction would be split accross them. With an
> > example.
> >
> > -I have the a common Cash accounts, and three more accounts name A, B
> > and C. -I have a special account name Special, this account distribute
> > it's ammount 40% A, 40% B, 20% C. -When doing a $100 deposit from Cash
> > account to Special account, behind the scenes what I'm really doing is
> > to transferring $ 40 to A, $40 to B, and $20 to C.
> >
> > Hope my requirement is clear with this example :)
>
> Alas, no, gnucash doesn't have this for general transaction input.
>
> The only way to do something like this is via the Business Invoice/Bill
> entry where you can set up a tax table that would compute tax rates and
> auto-split those taxes into accounts.
>
> But no, there is no way to do it using hand-entered transactions
> automatically.

Creative use of the SX feature might come close. I have a messy
irregularly-recurring txn that I use an SX for. The procedure is a little
tedious:
-Open Scheduled Transaction Editor
-Find the right one
-Edit it
-Update its Start Date to today/yesterday
-Close it
-Close the Editor
-Run Since-Last-Run
-Enter value(s) for this time round
but as mine has up to eight calculated splits it saves a lot of
head-scratching trying to remember how much of what goes where.