Quicken data going back to early 90's

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 18:54:54 EDT 2013

On 6/19/2013 2:14 PM, John Morra wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have quicken data going back to the early 90's I have tried to do a mass
> migration and while it seems to work the results are very dirty and it
> appears that I need a lot of effort to clean it up.  I too many postings
> that go to suspense accounts.   I instead I would like to migrate
> individual accounts and scrub the data in gnucash and then merge all the
> files.  is this possible?

I have a similar situation, but for the time being, I have only migrated
data starting in October 2007 to present,  I found that prior to that I
had too many investment transactions that would not import well, for one
thing.

My experience strongly suggests importing all or most accounts at once
over a limited time period, say one or three months, using the QIF
importer.  I had many sins in Quicken that did not import well, and it
helped to find many of them and fix them either before exporting from
Quicken or in the QIF file with Lotus Wordpro, Microsoft Word or
equivalent before importing into GnuCash.  Wordpro does this very nicely.

By importing many accounts at once the QIF importer will match both (or
all) sides of transactions most of the time, greatly reducing manual
repairs.

There are tricks such as using manually entered starting balances
temporarily set to the value for an intermediate date which allow
entering older data later.

Good luck.

David C