Archiving old transations

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Fri Jun 21 07:13:10 EDT 2013

On 06/21/2013 03:54 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> How long does it take to load the file with no tabs open?  Time for
> how long it shows "loading user data" on the startup screen (with no
> tabs open).
It appears that if I had not already archived many years of transactions
because of the start-up speed issue, it would take ~10 seconds to load
the user data every time I started the app. And that's just loading the
user data -- it's around another eight seconds to load all the reports
and do the other non-data initialization.

By way of comparison, LibreOffice Writer takes four seconds from when I
launch it until when I have a window ready for me to type in. Firefox
takes even less time than that. GIMP takes less than eight seconds when
I start it up cold, and less than four seconds when I close it and
immediately open it again. Picasa, which is managing far more data than
GnuCash is for me, starts up in 12 seconds total, and that's including a
speed hit from running inside VirtualBox.

If supporting archiving old transactions is such an albatross, then I
suppose another option for improving startup time would be to figure out
how to make it take less time to do the non-user-data initialization.
For example, I suspect that GIMP does some sort of caching of plugin
initialization so that plugins can be initialized faster after the first
time, and that's why it starts up so much more quickly the second time
than the first.
> Is that 21 MB of compressed xml?
No, uncompressed, because I transfer it regularly between machines with
rsync, whose diff algorithm works much better on an uncompressed file.
file; as far as I can tell, it's the processing, not the disk I/O, that
causes most of the delay.
> They are under
> no obligation to do anything for anyone.
I am not talking about obligation. As I've already said, I assume that
most people who maintain software actually care about giving their users
the features they want and need, and I believe that this feature falls
into that category.

Of course, there are exceptions to that rule. The maintainters of GIMP
have written off a (large) class of users and have made it clear and
explicit on numerous occasions that they have no intention of putting
any effort into making their app more hospitable to those users. I think
that's an unwise thing for them to do, but it's their right, and at
least they're up-front about it.

That's not what has happened here. No one has ever said, as far as I can
tell, "We don't think the kind of users who care about GnuCash taking
too long to start up is our target demographic, so we're not going to do
anything to help them." Rather, what has been said is, "Yeah, that's a
problem, and we're working on a fix" (and then no fix has arrived), or,
"Yeah, that's a problem, but no one is actually working on fixing it,"
or, "Shut up and stop complaining" (mostly by non-developers).
> Telling them that they are
> rude and patronising is not likely to encourage them to help you.
> More likely the contrary in fact.
I was polite about it for many, many years. And as you just pointed out,
you're not a GnuCash developer, so apparently I /didn't/ tell the
developers that they are being rude and patronizing.
> I think the reason that it has not been addressed is that most do not
> see it as a problem that needs to be fixed.
Several GnuCash maintainers over the years have acknowledged the problem
and indicated at least a theoretical desire to solve it, so I think you
are wrong about that, and I think that since you are not a developer,
you should perhaps stop trying to speak for them.

There are features in my Thunderbird add-ons that "most" users do not
use, but they benefit enough of my users that I was willing to put many
hours of work into implementing and maintaining of them.
> I certainly do not want
> to archive old data out of my main file.  I like to have access to my
> complete history so I can easily search for old data.  I often find
> myself, for example, searching to find when I bought something, and
> love that fact that I have 15 years historical data easily available.
The fact that there are some users who do not wish to archive their old
transactions has little to no bearing on whether there are enough users
who do to justify making it possible.

The facts that three different developers over the years have
implemented solutions to this problem, and that many people have asked
about it over the years, would seem to imply that there are a
significant number of users who want to be able to do this.

   jik