Archiving old transations

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Fri Jun 21 07:18:26 EDT 2013

On 06/21/2013 04:10 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 21 June 2013 06:22, Jonathan Kamens <jik at kamens.us> wrote:
>> I pledge $100 toward a bounty to go to the developer who implements the
>> functionality that I need within GnuCash, payable in US dollars, bitcoins,
>> or beer, developer's choice.
> How many hours work would expect from your local car repair shop for
> $100?  How many hours do you expect from a software engineer?
Surely you do not mean to suggest that I believe that $100 is enough to
compensate a GnuCash developer for their time to implement this
functionality.

First of all, I do not expect to bear the entire cost myself. If other
users are interested enough in this functionality to help pay for it,
then the amount of the bounty being offered will grow. If not, c'est la vie.

Second, if I added together all the voluntary donations people have made
to me for the work I do maintaining free software, and divided it by the
number of hours I've spent maintaining said software, I'm quite certain
it would come out to well under the minimum wage.

Some free software maintainers are lucky enough to get paid to do it as
their "day job." Most are not. There are many other reasons to write and
maintain free software, aside from making a living.

A bounty for a feature that users want is an added incentive to the
maintainers, not a market wage. Some might consider that obvious from
the fact that I suggested "beer" as one of the possible currencies.

   jik