Downloads from Canadian Fund Library

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 19:28:28 EDT 2013

On 6/21/2013 5:41 PM, John Morra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to load my historical quicken data.  For example I have Cundill
> Value Fund 'C'.  Checking the web site it is MFC876.  This is the code in
> Quicken.  However I have included different prefix's and none seem to
> work.  I am able to download all my Canadian stock holdings.  Any ideas?  I
> have searched google and most people reference a different number schema.
> A five digit number but I cannot find it on the web site.   Do I need an
> account to display this number?

For funds that are publicly traded/quoted try going to
ca.finance.yahoo.com and looking up the public symbol there.  For your
example the symbol on the Yahoo site is F0CAN05LW8.TO as traded or at
least quoted on the Toronto exchange.  As an American I am not sure how
Yahoo came up with that, but it probably makes sense to you.

I am not sure whether GnuCash can be coaxed into downloading Canadian
fund quotes, but if it can perhaps another Canadian user can tell you
about that.

In the US many mutual fund prices are not downloadable.  For a couple
that I have I need to go to an appropriate website manually when I want
a price.

David C