Customer Summary Report - Expenses all zeros

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 25 11:19:25 EDT 2013

Robert Smits <bob at rsmits.ca> writes:

> On March 21, 2013 08:13:29 am Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Wayne Gregori <wg at gregorigroup.com> writes:
>> > I'm new to Gnucash (and general accounting) but I'm getting the hang
>> > of it.
>> >
>> > When I run a Customer Summary I see zeros in the expense column.
>>
>> Um, exactly which report are you running?  There is no report called
>> "Customer Summary".
>>
>> > Where is the system pulling the expense data?  How can I attribute
>> > expenses to a given customer?
>>
>> You need to create a Vendor Bill for the expense, assign the Customer as
>> a chargeback target, and then mark the particular line-items as
>> chargebacks.
>>

> Derek, why do we have both Vendor "Bills" and Vendor "Invoices"? In my mind
> they seem like the  same thing, but obviously they aren't since we have both
> of them in Gnucash.

Where do you see "Vendor Invoices"?

We have Customer Invoices, Vendor Bills, and Employee Expense Vouchers.
I needed to come up with different words in English because other
languages definitely separate a "bill" you receive that you need to pay
versus a bill (invoice) that you send out for someone else to pay you.
In English the words are effectively synonymous so only context gives
you direction, but other languages have different words to express the
direction.

Under the covers they all use the same data structures, so the
differences really are just in the labels and some of the logic based on
whether the GncInvoice object's owner is a Customer, Vendor, or
Employee.

Hope this helps?