General ledger presentation bug

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 12:28:29 EDT 2013

On 6/25/2013 10:45 AM, Michael Hendry wrote:
> On 25 Jun 2013, at 16:15, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6/25/2013 9:13 AM, jcard21 xxxxxxx wrote:
>>> My mistake; I meant:
>>>
>>> Reports > Assets & Liabilities > General Journal
>>>
>>> --
>>> jcard21
>>>
>> The problem with that report is that it defaults to include every
>> transaction in the file, which takes forever to generate for many of
>> us.  Today  the options window for that report is blank on my machine so
>> I cannot see if it is possible to set a short time window, but if I
>> recall, that is not a choice.
>>
>> The only way I have found to see a report of splits for a limited number
>> of transactions is the report that seems to be failing for Michael on
>> his Mac.
> I'm using version 2.4.11 on my iMac, with Mac OS X 10.8.4).
>
> I've downloaded later versions (2.4.12 and 2.5.0) but got an error message when I tried to install them, and didn't take it any further.
>
> The report isn't failing for me - at least, I can get a General Ledger report which gives details of the splits by opening the General Ledger...
>
> (Tools > General Ledger)
>
> …selecting the date range (say 1st April 2012 to 31st March 2013)…
>
> (View > Filter By - Select Range)
>
> …and choosing the Sort Order, by date…
>
> (View > Sort By - Date).
>
> I think this is what the OP wanted in the way of a report.
>
> jcard21's suggestion of Reports > Assets & Liabilities > General Journal doesn't allow me to set up the range of dates, so everything is printed.
>
> Incidentally, in my system each of these reports has an odd fault in that some rows of cells have bolder print than others for no apparent reason.
>
> Michael
>

>> I think that there may have been some reports that worked in releases
>> older than 2.4.13, but I am not ready to search old releases.
>>
>> David C

I was wrong about who was experiencing the problem, sorry Michael.

However, I think that there is still one or more problems with reports
that should be reported to Bugzilla, but so far I am not sure what to
report.  Perhaps an enhancement to the Reports > Assets & Liabilities >
General Journal to have a time interval option that defaults to a period
the same interval as the interval that Tools > General Ledger uses
(which may change in release 2.6.0) combined with a change to either
remove the Reports > Assets & Liabilities > General Ledger from the list
or rename it to reduce confusion, since it obviously is not similar to
Tools > General Ledger?

Also, I think that there should be some other transaction report that
shows complete transactions with all splits, but how should one ask for
that?  Is it a bug in an existing report or is it a new feature?

David C