Apply filter to the view that appears when double clicking an entry in the "Generic import transaction matcher"

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 17:27:38 EST 2013

On 3/4/2013 1:40 PM, Richard Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I do this, I get the option to "Select matching existing transaction".
>
> Is there a way of making that view only display uncleared/unreconciled
> transactions?
>
> Even better, can the importer only attempt to match against
> uncleared/unreconciled transactions and never consider matching cleared
> transactions.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Richard.

I rarely see more than three or four candidates listed when I do that,
and I generally know in advance which one I really want to associate the
transaction to unless I am wondering why GnuCash thinks that it might
match any existing transaction.

Sometimes I move the import window out of the way and browse the
register directly when I am importing and I think a transaction should
match an existing one that is not in the list of candidates.
It is critical when doing this, however, to not try to edit any of the
newly incoming transactions, as that will cause the import to fail
miserably.

Several times a month GnuCash will fail to list the correct existing
transaction as a match candidate, and the only solution I have found is
to allow it import a new transaction, then go back afterwards and
resolve the duplication by manually fixing one of the duplicates and
deleting the other.

I am more concerned that the importer will make a lot of transactions
red, so they do not import at all unless I do something to force them to
be imported as new either with an existing transfer account or not.

David C