GnuCash LCK file on OSX 10.x hoses TimeMachine

Shane MacPhillamy rcoaic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 18:32:31 EST 2013

TimeMachine issues an error in the system log when it encounters the GnuCash LCK file of the form:

7/03/13 7:20:02.690 AM com.apple.backupd[355]: Error: (-48) SrcErr:NO Copying /Users/user/Documents/GnuCash/Accounts/UserFinances.LCK to /Volumes/TimeMachineMtLioniMac/Backups.backupdb/study3/2013-03-05-150751.inProgress/39CE1C17-9A89-4C9B-910C-5A775D55BA45/Macintosh HD/Users/user/Documents/GnuCash/Accounts

A subsequent TimeMachine backup run will then backup the entire volume again, as though starting from scratch - you will see a message similar to backing up 40.6 MB of 60MB with the upper limit continuing to increase without bound until the entire volume has been copied again.

My present workaround is to specifically exclude the LCK file, otherwise I get messages from TimeMachine complaining it has run out of space, when in reality it should have plenty of free space to store incremental backs.

Cheers, Shane