Cancelling a pre-paid sale in GnuCash

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 15:01:50 EST 2013

A Credit Note looks like it would be a good idea for cancelling the
invoice/recording the refund, but (a) it's not available in the currently
released version, and (b) it doesn't look like it, alone, would solve the
recording of the return of money issue.

I think I could get the effect I want if I could make a negative payment.
 However, the "Process Payment" UI checks and verifies that the payment is
positive.  There isn't a "Process Refund" UI, unfortunately.

I suppose I could get the effect on the accounts I want by unposting the
invoice, deleting the payment transaction from the A/R register, manually
adding the payment transaction against a misc liability account with the
date of the payment, and then adding the refund transaction with the date
of the refund to counter the payment.  I don' t like that in part because
it feels like I'm mucking about with history, and the books for a given day
won't accurately reflect what we thought on that day, but if the system
can't handle it otherwise, what can I do?