Finance::Quote does not work on europe stocks

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 9 03:31:44 EST 2013

Dear Fred,

I have subscribed to this mailing list (I formerly posted through gmane)
because (i) this extremely low quality response deserves an answer and (ii)
because having found the problem (I am not as stupid as you seem
to presuppose in your email) this should be documented somewhere.

You seem to imply that I did not even bother to read what the program
output. What I was reporting is a functionality that does not work in
gnucash any more but that was working one year and a half before. So do not
treat me as a dumb user that does not bother to read error messages.

Instead of producing a canned response, at least I took the trouble to
debug gnucash and FInance Quote, i) having to learn how to build and debug
perl packages, ii) going through your code, iii) inspecting what modules
gnucash calls and iv) producing a solution to the problem (
http://goo.gl/WaQwV).

The problem is that Finance::Quote::Yahoo::Europe does not work any more.
It is not that tickets are wrong (which they are not, if you had taken the
trouble to look at http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=alm.mc&ql=1 before
answering), but that both Gnucash and Finance::Quote are cheating on the
user offering something that is broken, for Yahoo Europe no longer outputs
CSV for the tickets that denote many of the Spanish or German stocks, the
ones I bothered to check

/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-dump yahoo_europe
ALM
.MC

Now, it turns out that in the mean time people have produced other sources
for specific countries and, while the Yahoo module is broken, Europe source
works because it checks other stock markets. Being in Spain, none of the
sources that Gnucash/Finance::Quote offered worked, so I cooked one
http://goo.gl/WaQwV and submitted to the library maintainers.

So, did I or did I not read the error message. Have a nice weekend.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)