Favorite accounts window

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 12 13:09:20 EDT 2013

Hi,

Jesus M Diaz <jesusm.diazperez at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I have just (almost) finished the data importation to GnuCash from my old
> financial software. With the old suite I used to work with 'categories',
> but GnuCash treats everything as accounts. Therefore I have now a huge list
> of accounts (yes, I am thinking on simplifying my accounts/categories
> structure).
>
> Actually, on my day to day I just use few of the accounts, and so I wonder
> if there would be any way to mark just some of them as 'favorite' so I can
> have a shorter list for my day to day.
>
> I thought using the 'hide' options, but I'd rather use it for my closed
> accounts, not for non-favorite but alive ones.
>
> So, any idea? os if it is not posible right now, could it be a future
> feature?

My recommendation is that you enter your transactions only from the
Asset & Liability accounts instead of from the Income/Expense accounts.
This will do a few things:

1) Humans in general think about it better this way, so you wont enter a
   transaction backwards.  (I.e., you pay $20 for groceries, so you
   transfer $20 from Cash to Expenses:Groceries, decreasing cash
   and increasing Ex:Groceries).

2) In general people have many fewer asset and liability accounts than
   Income and Expense accounts.  For example, I really only use 3 or 4
   accounts on a day-to-day basis.

3) For those well-used assets, just leave the account tabs open, or
   leave the account tree open.

Good Luck,