New Bill - entering a vendor name

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 14:04:41 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> denbigh1974 <denbigh1974 at gmx.net> writes:
>
> > Just to clarify:
> > I have been using GnuCash *2.2.9* (copy was built from r17949M on
> > 2010-03-23).
> > This version *does not autofill* customer name.
>
> Correct, because that version is about 3 years old already.
>
> > After a bit of looking around today, I came across this website
> > https://launchpad.net/~randall-songshu/+archive/gnucash
> >
> > I added the following to my software sources
> >    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/randall-songshu/gnucash/ubuntu lucid
> main
> >    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/randall-songshu/gnucash/ubuntu lucid
> > main
> >
> > I then opened Terminal and typed the following instructions one by one
> >    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:randall-songshu/gnucash
> >    sudo apt-get update
> >    sudo apt-get install gnucash
> >
> > I then ran GnuCash. The version is now *2.4.2* (copy was built from
> r20253M
> > on 2011-02-09)
> > This version *does autofill* customer name, at least on first inspection.
> >
> > So my immediate problem is solved (although I've yet to discover if I've
> > created new problems ). Hope that this is of some help to others using
> > Ubuntu 10.04
> >
> > If anyone knows of a ppa with GnuCash 2.4.11 for Ubuntu 10.04 then please
> > could you add a link? Thanks.
>
> I would recommend you NOT use 2.4.2; it is known buggy, and old enough
> that I can't even remember all the bugs in it.
>
> Perhaps you can just run: apt-get build-dep gnucash
> and then build 2.4.11 from source?

see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building and specifically the "self
backporting" section at
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Compiling_Newer_Ubuntu_Packages_on_an_Older_Release_.28.22self-backporting.22.29

for slightly more detailed directions. Just be sure to substitute the
correct release names for the sources files.

On the http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu page you can see we used to be
able to point folks to getdeb.net which contained more recent versions of
GnuCash but whoever used to run that repository decided not to offer it
anymore.

Note: Anybody can create their own PPAs hosted by Ubuntu at
ppa.launchpad.net for free, so I would be hesitant to add a random one to
my sources.list unless I were reasonably sure of the intentions of the
person who put it up.

It's not extremely hard to build GnuCash in Ubuntu "from scratch," just not
as simple as installing an already compiled package. You have to be careful
where it gets compiled and to set appropriate build parameters and that
sort of thing. A few minutes of fiddling with it and you're done... until
the next release.